While the Network’s preference is for Tri-regional broadcast centres, for the 2018-19 proposal it has been necessary to adopt a Quad-Regional infrastructure. The current political and regulatory climate in Europe has led to the addition of an EU base with either Amsterdam, Dublin or Tallinn under consideration for an EU location. This decision is specifically with consideration to Brexit, and the likelihood of the UK leaving the AVMSD (Audiovisual Media Services Directive) as a result, and in order to maintain access to both the UK and EU audiences and their lucrative advertising markets. While in Tiers 2 & 3 of the proposals for AVTN and NewsNet247 reduce regional capability region by region, London and EU locations are retained, along with Global budgets for Regional Broadcast.
Single location broadcasting is most commonly associated with broadcasting in national interests, or to the interests of a highly localised demographic. It is perceived as most appropriate for single or localised broadcast market models. While global distribution is achievable; content can often struggle to gain traction in overseas markets, particularly the US, or fail to completely reflect regional interests of global demographics; it may however, supply an alternative viewpoint to overseas viewers; or comfort nationals far from home. While many News operations may give the appearance of single site location in their presentation of news, reality is that they are often supported by multiple regional operations.
Single Location Pros
A single location model may achieve:
- National or global distribution in the national interest or to a limited market.
- Concentration of facilities and personnel.
- Efficiencies in national or local broadcast models.
- Reductions in some areas of expenditure.
- Requires only a single play-out facility with backup.
- A single location may be seen as lacking innovation or imagination in addressing global markets.
- Large facilities are prohibitively costly in city centres, tending to dictate suburban or industrial locations.
- A single location presentation may not project well to a global demographic.
- A single location facility does not necessarily reflect efficiency in global news-gathering.
- Substantial supporting studio and office infrastructure is still required to achieve transmission.
- Play-out facilities still require backup to protect transmission commitments.
- News-gathering assets become a considerable time and distance from two-thirds of the globe.
- Distance from news results in higher travel costs, extended layovers and crew rest periods.
- Overseas posts and contractual agreements with other broadcasters are of greater necessity.
- Growth may be restricted, and often results in a short-term requirement for new facilities.
Network Position on a Single Location Structure
- Network infrastructure is intended to enable delivery of AVTN, NewsNet24⁷ and subsequent channel and digital media offerings.
- Significant growth is forecast in North America, Europe, Asia and other regions.
- Easy access to corporate leaders and financial commentators is essential.
- Adequate personnel allocations have been made for each channel offering.
- Some commercial broadcasters will enhance single-site news formulas with night time programming from sister channels in other time-zones within the same network. While this could be achieved through agreements with other Broadcasters or Newswires for NewsNet24⁷, this would be difficult for AVTN to accomplish, without significantly reducing the volume of high-quality Aviation news delivered to markets watching within that timeline/time-zone.
You can download a copy of the Investment Deck (Presentation) here or use the Contact Form to write to us.